Thursday, May 26, 2011

>So what did you think of Jay Jay?

Jay Jay? You know, Jermanos Jermanos, the new character by Fadi Raidy, star of the Cornelli ads?? Well, personally........ I liiiiike it !!! (i mean him;-)

Seriously, not often we come across a well-thought of campaign in Lebanon:

>The billboards (will post a pict of those soon) look fresh and nice, good composition, the photos of JayJay are nicely taken and well-lit. In a jungle of ugly billboards and bad pictures this is definitely refreshing!!!

>The character and the TV ads : What can say about Fady? Well as Jessica Rabbit says: He makes me laugh!.. He depicts so well the Lebanese clich√©! All his previous characters were a hit but this one is definitely my favorite. C'mon we all have an "ameurkaynayyyyyy" cousin, don't we?

So to sum it up, this is an ad to which every Lebanese relates, regardless which side of town they live in ;-) The production is well done, and the visual identity is neat too...

Bravo JayJay & Cornelli! Who's with me?

#update: look at the buzz on facebook in 30 minutes only:

#update 2: AND.. here's a pict of one of the billboards courtesy of Beirut Drive-By:

7 comments:

Gaby said...

I liiiike it as well. The strategy behind the brand is perfectly thought of, with one mini (and somewhat major) risk having the brand name overshadowed by Fadi's JayJay.

The text is amazingly well, the scenario and target niche are just perfect not to mention the visuals and executions.
I really like the campaign as a whole its well built and well driven.

If we look at the market I believe Cornelli will be setting itself apart and is becoming a major player, knowing that the competition, Iceberg for example, focuses on the 1Kg boxes and bigger packs while Cornelli is launching the ice cream sticks and targeting young adults.
I'm eager to see the brand develop with the coming weeks :)

MAYA said...

Shame that the company who did the new brand identity of Cornelli is not Lebanese though, right? http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2010/4/19/cornelli-ice-cream.html

Chantal Akkary said...

I SO like ITTTTTTTTTT :)

Darine said...

I have to disagree with you guys, I did not like the ad at all. How does Jay Jay relate to the kids that will be buying cornelli? They probably would not understand half of the pun in the ads. And though Jay Jay's accent and the words he uses are quirky and remind me of my relatives that live abroad, no one would stay in Lebanon just because of ice cream. When you listen to the radio spots every day in your car in the morning it turns from lame to super lame.

I agree with Maya on the technical part of the execution being handled well, but from the creative aspect of the campaign, let's just say it put me down from trying the product out.

MAYA said...

Well You're right Darine, it is not targeted for kids.

As for staying in Leb for an icecream, it's just the excuse to do the monologue!
Now maybe i will get enough eventually of it, but my trip to work every mornin' is very short ;-)

swearagod... as he says

Jad said...

I'm not a marketer (and I've never even commented on such matters before) so can't say anything about whether this sells ice cream or not, but as a consumer forced to watch ads every day, I'd like to say that I find this ad brilliant! In fact, it's the second ad I've ever shared on Facebook because I found it so funny (the first was Cadbury's dancing eyebrow ad). My whole family found it funny too, and you're right, many of us can relate to the character.

Will it make me buy the ice cream? Probably not, but, for me at least, the same goes for all ads. I've rarely bought something based on the image or the information given in an ad campaign (I tend to research specs/reviews online; I don't even use brands as a point of reference when searching - I use keywords), so to me, a good ad is an entertaining and/or beautiful one.

Liliane said...

at first i found him annoying. then when sitting with friends and they started imitating him, I thought to myself hmmm so when I heard the ad on the radio again today, I actually liiiiiiiiiiiiiiked it :P and well my favorite is

"nghramet" <-- lol they DO TALK LIKE THAT.

Stats

Related Posts with Thumbnails